9 Fine Causes and Effects Launching Rocky Point Direct
- May 14, 2021
- Rocky Point Direct
Life is filled with causes and effects. Endless choices and possibilities, actions and reactions. Rocky Point Direct was caused by these creative…Read More
“Dude, you don’t answer a question with a question!” I tease my 14-year-old son about this as often as the Sea of Cortez hosts a magnificent sunset. But a funny thing often happens after asking “Why?” The “Why” can lead to thoughts of “Why not?” This is exactly how Rocky Point Direct came to life.
“Why is it so expensive at the online booking sites for both hosts and guests of Rocky Point Condos?” I wondered.
Why is it like this? Why do these big booking sites control the market? Why? Why? Why? It’s a good thing I wasn’t keeping score of the times I was unhappy with Airbnb, VRBO, Booking.com, etc. The scoreboard would have run out of digits and space.
Here were some of the common issues I heard:
– Why does Booking.com not value or treat its “partners” like real partners?
– Why has VRBO always buried our listing many pages in…even while it has all 5 Star Reviews and ranked at or near the top on the other platforms?
– Why do all the hosts I know say they get very few bookings through Airbnb?
– Why do so many Sandy Beach resort condo owners simply hand over 35% of their income for rental pool management fees?
– In saving the best and biggest question for last…Why do so many hosts AND guests in Puerto Peñasco keep complaining about such high fees, yet keep paying them?
That last question was sitting at the heart of the matter. And I sat with it for a while.
When the answers came, I didn’t like them. Not one bit. That’s because they came from looking in the mirror, not judging others. I realized the surprising main reason I was (and all of us Rocky Pointers were) agreeing to pay those high commissions, high booking fees and high service fees was quite simple.
There was no better option.
Next, as I sat some more with the problem and my frustration, my head was filling with new questions, answers, and debates.
ME: Why doesn’t someone come up with a solution?
ME: Because they’d be taking on the establishment. Going up against “The Big Boys,” large, million dollar and billon dollar companies. They’d be crushed like a taco by a truck.
ME: Yeah, but a lot of those millions in profits aren’t even staying in town. You know those corporations don’t know or care about the local community, right?
ME: Right. So?
ME: Well, someone should do something. There has got to be a better way. Something different. At least another option, right?
ME: Right. But they’d have to know AND care about Rocky Point. They’d have to be invested in a solution both emotionally and financially. They would have to believe strongly enough in the solution to take on a project like this. They would need the strength, courage, and vision to do it despite their fear of knowing the real-life challenges they are up against.
Boom! It was back to the mirror. I knew the answer. But again, it scared me. So, I began asking myself more questions:
ME: So genius, tough guy…what are YOU going to do about it?
ME: I know what I want do, what I should do.
ME: Do you honestly believe in your idea of creating a local online hosting and booking platform WITHOUT CHARGING HIGH FEES like the Big Boys?
ME: I think so. It really is a good idea, the right idea.
ME: Do you really believe in yourself enough to do it and make it work?
ME: I hope so.
ME: Do you think other people will like the idea and become a part of the solution?
ME: Yes. Yes, I do. Absolutely. Definitely.
Knowing others would also like the solution got me over the hump with Rocky Point Direct. But even then, to be sure, l asked some people I know from Puerto Peñasco what they thought. They loved the idea. I heard positive feedback like, “Sounds great!” “Sign me up!” “Let me know when it’s ready!”
If unwanted High Fees and Big Profits leaving town are the “Whole Enchilada…” then Rocky Point Direct is the recipe for a new solution.
– Now there finally is a low-cost platform for connecting Rocky Point rental property owners with visiting guests wanting a nice place to stay.
– Now Puerto Peñasco hosts can avoid paying high commissions, charge less, make more and get more bookings directly.
– Now visiting guests can avoid paying high booking and service fees. And having more money to spend in town on food, drink, activities, helps the community.
– Now ALL of us who love Rocky Point can finally say…
Adiós High Fees!